Successful drivers play chess, not checkers. No, we’re not talking about moving little wooden pieces on cardboard. We’re talking about moving trucks all over our beautiful country, and those who do it best have a plan. Long before they slide behind the wheel, the best drivers have been crafting a detailed plan. They know where they’re going and how they’re going to get there. They have a strategy for fuel, food, lodging, and transportation. They’ve factored in time for delays and inspections. Thus, they’re rarely surprised and always on time. They don’t merely show up and react. No, they don’t play checkers. The most successful drivers play chess. They show up with a plan, execute it with precision, and bring home the Queen’s ransom to boot. We’re pleased to have an over-the-road Chessmaster with us on today’s episode. Eugene Isaac is a ten-year veteran in trucking and a driver who has learned the art of preparation. He’s a man with a plan you can learn from on this episode of the #SixFigureTrucker.
- We catch up with Eugene as he makes his way to Northern California (1:00)
- With diesel prices so high, Eugene talks about maximizing fuel (5:10)
- Eugene talks about life at home, away from the wheel (12:53)
- More than a hobby, Eugene’s mechanical skills come in handy over the road (17:58)
- A 10-year veteran in trucking, Eugene shares his favorite sites and cities (22:08)
- Eugene talks about his prior career in commercial air conditioning and how it compares to his freedom and profits in driveaway (26:29)
- What’s the difference between Driveaway and a traditional Tractor Trailer? (30:00)
- Team driving with the wife! Eugene and his wife enjoy good eats and good times over the road together. (34:50)
- Dropping some serious knowledge, Eugene talks about the importance of planning ahead and how to stay on schedule (41:02)
- Eugene offers a few more pearls of wisdom and encourages potential drivers to give it a try! (50:22)
Keep Truckin’, Eugene!
The Six Figure Trucker is a weekly conversation that shares the strategies and stories that successful drivers have used to build lucrative careers in the trucking industry.